Installing the Extension¶
Install the Mobile Development Kit extension for Visual Studio Code to load Visual Studio Code with the Mobile Development Kit metadata, and to start developing or modifying your apps quickly and efficiently.
To develop or modify an app, you must have the following:
- Mac or Windows environment
- Visual Studio Code version higher than 1.24.0
To debug an app, you must have the following:
- Xcode, which finds the corresponding iOS simulator
- Android Studio, which finds the corresponding Android emulator
- NativeScript CLI, installed using the
npm install -g nativescriptcommand This is required to trigger the
tnscommand to launch an app.
- The NativeScript project for the branded client, which hosts the app and supports the
Install the Mobile Development Kit extension directly from the Microsoft Visual Studio Code marketplace. You can also download and install the latest version of
vsixpackage folder (
vsc-extension-mdk) from the SAP Marketplace. This folder contains all the files necessary for your extension.
Launch Visual Studio Code.
If you have downloaded the package from the SAP Marketplace, select
Install from VSIX. The installation might take as long as to two minutes.
Reload Visual Studio Code to enable the extension. A new language mode called
MDKis attached to any open Mobile Development Kit metadata file.