Live Data Connections to SAP HANA
You can create live data connections to an SAP HANA system using the Direct, Tunnel, and SAP Cloud Platform connection types, and also connections to SAP HANA Cloud.
To use this connection type, you must configure Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) support on your SAP HANA on-premise system.
- Live Data Connection to SAP HANA Using a Direct Connection with Password Authentication
- Live Data Connection to SAP HANA Using a Direct Connection and SSO
- Live Data Connection to SAP HANA Using a Direct Connection and No Authentication
You can use the Tunnel connection type if your organization wants to expose some of your data to users outside of your corporate network, without giving them VPN rights.
Example: Giant Bread Company wants to expand their business, so they hire Very Clever Consultants (VCC) to do market research for them. VCC prepares a story with market analysis. VCC wants to safeguard this data inside their own firewall, but provide access to their customer. They don't want to give Giant's executives VPN access to VCC's network, but by providing a tunnel connection, VCC can give access to the report and its data, without compromising their network.
Note that tunnel connections are slower than direct connections.
- Live Data Connection to SAP HANA Using a Tunnel Connection with Password Authentication
- Live Data Connection to SAP HANA Using a Tunnel Connection and SSO
- Systems on SAP data centers support only SAML connections, while systems on non-SAP data centers support Basic and SAML connections. A two-digit number in your SAP Analytics Cloud URL, for example eu10 or us30, indicates a non-SAP data center.
- Tunnel connection types are not supported on mobile devices in this release.
Use this connection type if you want to connect to data on an SAP Cloud Platform system.
Use this connection type if you want to connect to data on an SAP HANA Cloud system.
Once a live data connection to SAP HANA is established, SAP HANA is polled every 30 seconds to extend the session. When your connection to SAP HANA has been lost, you will be notified if you are inside a story or a model, and you must refresh the page to re-establish your live data connection.