Launching the Explorer from a Story Canvas
You can launch the Explorer directly from a story canvas.
When you're viewing a chart or table in the standard View mode or in Present (Fullscreen) mode, you can launch the Explorer to select different measures and dimensions, experiment with filters, and more. For more information about the Explorer, see Explore Your Data.
- While you're creating your chart or table, open the Designer panel.
In the Builder tab, select the Enable
Explorer option to enable the Explorer mode.
If you want to restrict the number of measures and dimensions that are visible in the Explorer, select Configure Measures & Dimensions. Note that all measures and dimensions that are currently in the chart or table are automatically included and can’t be removed. Also, if you don’t specify any additional dimensions or measures, then only the ones used in the chart or table are available in the Explorer.
You can clear your configuration of measures and dimensions by selecting Clear Selection.Restriction
- Measure and dimension configuration is not available for blended charts and tables.
- After you've finished designing your chart or table, switch to View mode, with the Fullscreen mode either on or off.
Select the chart or table, and then select
.You can now use the Explorer to see how selecting different members affects the chart or table.
To add dimensions to the facet panel, select (Show
If you want to add all the dimensions to the facet panel (Show All) and there are more than 20 dimensions, it make take a little time to load all the dimensions.
- (Optional) To change the order of the dimensions, select a dimension facet and drag it to a new location.
To open the Builder, select .
In the Builder, you can drag measures and dimensions to change the chart structure, and edit your filters.
For example, you can adjust story and page filter values by interacting with the filter token, the same way you do on the story canvas. All changes made to story and page filters in the Builder are applied to the story after you exit Explorer mode.
Any existing story and page filters are applied by default. To disable a story or page filter, hover over the filter token and select.
If you want to delete a chart or table filter, select the icon in the filter token.TipHover over a filter token's icon to see what kind of filter it is.Note
- When you exit the Explorer, changes to the chart or table are not saved.
- Changing story or page filter values may impact the values you see in the facet panel. For example, in a currency dimension, you might see USD and Euro initially. Then if you change the country filter to filter out USA, the currency dimension in the facet panel no longer shows USD.
- To keep a copy of your exploration changes, select New View.
When you are finished exploring the data, select Exit Explorer
Only the original view of the facets will be kept if you don't save a new view before exiting explorer mode.
The chart or table header displays the number of explorer views that you have created.
You'll need to save your story or save a bookmark if you want the explorer views to be available the next time you open the story.