Extracting data directly has the disadvantage that the complete data set is copied to the InfoCube at each update. The following procedure allows you to update the data in an InfoCube without adding superfluous data.
You can also use this procedure for uploading data from flat files.
The procedure that is described here using DataStore objects can be time consuming. Therefore, we only recommend that you use it if you require delta functionality. For most purposes, it is sufficient to delete the contents of the InfoCube before conducting a full update. For more information, see Updating InfoCubes Directly.
You have generated an export DataSource for the planning area (see Extracting Data from a Planning Area).
Do not create any update rules for an InfoCube that has an InfoSource as the data source.
1. If necessary, replicate the DataSource. To do so, you can use the following options in the Data Warehousing Workbench:
○ Select the source system in the source system overview and choose Replicate DataSources in the context menu. This replicates all data sources in the source system.
○ Select the data source in the DataSource overview and choose Replicate Metadata in the context menu. This replicates just the one DataSource.
2. Create an InfoSource and assign the data source to it. To do so, choose your application component on the InfoSource page of the Data Warehousing Workbench. In the context menu, choose Create InfoSource. On the next dialog box, select Transactional Data. Another dialog box appears. Enter a name and description for the new InfoSource and choose Enter. In the tree, select the new InfoSource. In the context menu, choose Assign DataSource. On the dialog box that appears, enter the source system. A list of DataSources appears. Select the required DataSource. Choose Enter.
Alternatively you can remain in the DataSource overview. A icon indicates that no InfoSource has been assigned yet. Either click the icon or choose Assign InfoSource in the context menu. On the dialog box that appears, enter a name for the InfoSource. Choose . On the next dialog box, enter a description and choose . Confirm the following dialog box. You can now maintain the InfoSource.
You can assign a DataSource to one InfoSource only.
3. Create a DataStore object in the InfoProvider overview of the Data Warehousing Workbench.
a. Select the InfoArea and then choose Create DataStore Object in the context menu. The Edit DataStore Object dialog box appears.
b. Enter a name and a short description. If required, you can also specify a DataStore object to use as a template. Choose . The Edit DataStore Object dialog box appears.
c. On the left-hand side of the screen, you can select InfoObjects, for example, InfoCubes or InfoObjectCatalogs. You can copy characteristics or key figures from these InfoObjects to the DataStore object. We suggest that you select either the InfoCube to which you want to copy the data, or the InfoSource.
d. Copy the characteristics to the key fields in the right-hand tree in the DataStore object and copy the key figures to the data fields. In both cases, use drag and drop. You might have to transfer the 0RECORDMODE InfoObject from the Business Content.
e. In the Settings branch of the DataStore tree, set the following indicators:
■ Set quality status to 'OK' automatically
■ Activate DataStore object data automatically
■ Update data targets from DataStore object automatically
f. Activate the DataStore object.
For more information, see DataStore Object.
4. Create update rules for the DataStore object.
a. Select the DataStore object in the data targets page (Data Warehousing Workbench).
b. Choose Create update rules from the context menu. The Create Update Rules screen appears.
c. Enter the InfoSource that you created in step 2. Choose . Edit the update rules as necessary.
d. Activate the update rules by choosing .
5. Create update rules for the InfoCube as above, but with the DataStore object as the data source.
6. Create an InfoPackage for the InfoSource. In contrast to the normal procedure, on the Processing tab page, set the Only PSA and Update subsequently in data targetsindicators. Start or schedule the data load. For more information, see Upload Process.