Master planning object structures are prerequisites for creating planning areas in Supply and Demand Planning.
In Demand Planning you can assign any characteristics that exist in the system to the master planning object structure.
The following applications have fixed sets of standard characteristics:
· Supply Network Planning
· Characteristic-based forecasting
· Forecasting with bills of material
You have created the characteristics with which you wish to work.
To edit master planning object structures you work in Supply and Demand Planning Administration, which you access by choosing Demand Planning/Supply Network Planning ® Environment ® Current Settings ® Administration of Demand Planning and Supply Network Planning.
In S&DP Administration you can edit:
· Planning areas
· Master planning object structures
To edit master planning object structures choose Plng object structures on the selection button (top left of the screen).
1. Choose Create master planning object structure from the context menu.
2. On the dialog box that appears enter a name for the new master planning object structure and choose . The Configure Planning Object Structure screen appears.
3. Enter a descriptive text for the master planning object structure.
4. You now assign characteristics from the table on the right of the screen. If the master planning object structure is for use in one of the applications listed above in the Use section, simply select the relevant indicator. The standard characteristics are transferred automatically. Otherwise select the characteristics that you want to use and then choose . Similarly you can choose to remove characteristics from the master planning object structure.
5. You can also assign dimensions to the characteristics in your master planning object structure. Dimensions here are similar to dimensions in InfoCubes and are used to improve performance. To assign dimensions use the pull-down box in the dimension () column of the left hand table. You can add further dimensions by choosing the Add button at the bottom of the screen.
6. If you want to use other characteristics for product and location than 9AMATNR and 9ALOCNO, you must specify these characteristics in the master planning object structure. In general you should use the two SAP characteristics as the basis for the new characteristics. The main reason for changing these characteristics is to be able to use navigational attributes in Demand Planning without causing problems afterwards in SNP (SNP does not support navigational attributes). To assign the product / location characteristics in the master planning object structure choose Edit ® Assign prod./loc.. Enter the relevant characteristics in the dialog box that appears.
7. Save your master planning object structure.
SAP recommends that you do not change master planning object structures that have been activated and that are in use in planning books.
To remove a characteristic from a master planning object structure you must first deactivate the structure.
When you deactivate a master planning object structure, all characteristic value combinations are deleted and the existing liveCache time series objects become inconsistent.
Before you can work with a master planning object structure (for example create characteristics combinations or assign them to a planning area) you must activate it.
You can do this either:
· From the planning object structure workspace in S&DP Administration by selecting the master planning object structure and then choosing Activate or Deactivate from the context menu.
· On the Configure Planning Object Structure screen by choosing to activate or to deactivate.
Read the cautions above before deactivating master planning object structures.