1. Call the DME Engine by entering transaction DMEE.
2. Choose a tree type.
3. Enter a name for the format tree, usually the name of the format itself.
For PAYM format trees, you need to create a corresponding Payment Medium Workbench (PMW) format as described here. The PMW format and the DMEE format tree must have identical names, so if you have already created the PMW format, be sure to enter the same name for the DMEE format tree.
4. Choose Create.
5. In the dialog box that appears, specify whether the format tree is to be used to generate a flat file or an XML file.
The DMEE: Create Format Tree <format tree> screen appears.
6. Maintain data for the root node, called the header, which appears automatically.
8. Define a mapping procedure for each node that serves as a source field (for outgoing files) or a target field (for incoming files); based on the tree type, nodes that require mapping are elements, atoms, and action nodes. The DME Engine offers a number of special functions that enable you to model your format description as a format tree, such as aggregation.
9. Activate the format tree.
Once active, the format tree can be accessed and used as needed by calling applications.