The Kanban Board
To provide the demand source as well as the supply source with a detailed overview of kanban circulation, you have the option of using the kanban board. The kanban board can also be used to trigger the kanban signal.
You have defined the settings for the kanban board in Customizing for KANBAN.
- You have defined the control cycle display; you have set which columns are to be displayed in the kanban board and how the data is to be sorted and grouped.
- You have defined the kanban display; you have set how the kanbans are to be labeled and how they are sorted.
- You have defined what should be included in the quick info for the kanbans.
- You have defined the settings for the kanban board in Customizing for the GANTT chart.
If you do not make any settings, then the system uses the standard values.
The kanbans are displayed in different colors according to their status. You can view the color legend by selecting Kanban board
The following information is available with the kanban board:
- Kanbans with the status EMPTY. Replenishment has been triggered for these kanbans. That is, a planned order, production order or purchase order for external replenishment has already been created in the background.
- Kanbans with status FULL, from which you can withdraw material.
In control cycles where the status change and goods receipt are separated, the system also displays whether the separate goods receipt for the full kanban has already been made or not (‘+’ means goods receipt has taken place; ‘-’ means that it has not taken place).
- Kanbans with status WAIT. These are
- Kanbans that have been newly introduced to the control cycle and for which no procurement has yet been triggered.
- Kanbans in control cycles, for which
Independent Supply Source/Separation of Status Change and Replenishment has been defined. In this case, replenishment is not triggered automatically when the demand source changes the status. Instead, the supply source triggers replenishment.
- Kanbans that have been assigned the locking indicator and for which no replenishment has been triggered since they were set to EMPTY.
Kanbans can only be locked in the control cycle or by the kanban calculation. Please also read
Creating/Changing a Control Cycle for Classic KANBAN and
Automatic Kanban Calculation.
- Kanbans with the status ERROR.
If an error occurs during the status change, the kanban is considered faulty.
- Kanbans with the status SEPARATE GR FOR KANBAN.
If you want to rule out the option of setting the kanban to a specific status in one of the two views, then in the Include MMPKBDEF (under ‘Functions of a New Kanban Board’) you can set which status can be set only in the demand source view or in the supply source view.
Triggering the Kanban Signal
You can change the status of the kanban(s) in the kanban board, by selecting one or more kanbans.
In addition, in the kanban board using Edit ®
Generate kanban you can create a new kanban in an event-driven control cycle. Here, enter in the following dialog box the requested quantity and choose Generate event-driven KANBAN.
You can change the display of the kanban board by selecting the Settings menu option. You can then save your own user-specific layout. The following options are available:
- You can increase or decrease the kanbans displayed.
- You can overwrite the Customizing settings for the kanban board with user-specific settings and thus change the display via Settings ®
Display control cycle or Display kanbans or Display quick info. Here, you have the same options as in Customizing. You can delete this user-specific data again at any time. You carry out the user-specific settings in the same way as in Customizing for KANBAN.
- You can access additional kanban information by double-clicking on the kanban. This information includes: control cycle, material, plant, actual quantity, status, date of the last status change, replenishment strategy, number of the replenishment element. In this dialog box you can change or display the replenishment element for empty kanbans via ‘Change replenishment’ or ‘Display replenishment’. If errors have occurred, error messages will be displayed.
- You can display the control cycle data by double-clicking on the corresponding line in the kanban board.
- Using Goto you can display the current stock/requirements list, the stock overview or the material master for a control cycle, i.e. for the corresponding material.
- Using Goto you can access the kanban correction for a control cycle. For the Kanban correction procedure, see
Using the search function, you can search for materials or supply areas. Choose Select. In the following dialog box enter the search term with an asterisk before and after it.