There are two ways of creating views in SAP HANA
for BW queries:
- Select the query as an InfoProvider and set the flag to generate an SAP HANA view in the SAP HANA Index Maintenance transaction (RSDDB).
- Set the flag to generate an SAP HANA view in the query editing screen in the BW Modeling tools.
Although they present a number of differences, both approaches can be recommended in equal measure.
You can use check program RSR_QPROV_CHECK to find out if your query has restrictions for generating SAP HANA views in transaction RSDDB (SAP HANA Index Maintenance). The query check in the BW Modeling tools also points out restrictions applying to this method.
Generating SAP HANA
views using the SAP HANA
index maintenance (RSDDB) is recommended if:
- The result set should come from the query's snapshot index as an InfoProvider.
- The InfoProvider that the query is based upon is a MultiProvider, Open ODS view, InfoSet, HybridProvider, VirtualProvider, APO-InfoCube or InfoObject as InfoProvider.
- The query uses constant selection.
- Key figures or formulas with exception aggregation in the SAP HANA view are not aggregated by the user (see SAP Note 1903468 ).
Generating SAP HANA
views in the query editing screen in the BW Modeling tools is recommended if:
- The result set should come from the InfoProvider and be calculated during execution (current data).
- Input-ready variables are used, for currency translation and quantity conversion for example.
Differences Between the Two Approaches
||Generation in SAP HANA Index Maintenance (RSDDB)
||Generation in the Query Editing Screen in the BW Modeling Tools
||The SAP HANA view is based on the snapshot index of the query as InfoProvider.
||The SAP HANA view is based on the external SAP HANA view of the InfoProvider.
||Not current. The result set of the query is stored during creation of the index.
||All, except for TransientProviders (ODP, analytic index) and aggregation level
||InfoCube, DataStore object (classic and advanced), CompositeProvider
||Yes. For more information, see SAP Note 1903468 .
||yes; no formula exception aggregation
|Constant Selection Supported?
|Input-Ready Variables Supported?