To provide both the demand source (consumer) and the supply source (supplier, producer) with a detailed overview of kanban circulation, you have the option of using the kanban board. The kanban board can also be used to trigger the kanban signal.
When displaying the kanban board, you can choose between a tabular and a graphical representation. You control this using the Tabular Display indicator on the initial screen. In the standard system, the indicator is not set.
If you are working in the SAP system in accessibility mode, the Tabular Display indicator is set in the standard system.
You have defined the settings for the kanban board in Customizing for Kanban.
● You have defined the representation of the control cycles. In other words, you have specified which columns are to be displayed on the kanban board and how the data is to be sorted and grouped.
● You have specified the representation of the kanbans. In other words you have specified how the kanbans are to be labeled and how they are sorted.
● You have defined which data is to be included in the quick info for the kanbans.
● You have defined the settings for the kanban board in Customizing for the bar chart graphics.
If you do not make any settings, the system uses standard values.
You have the appropriate user authorizations for the kanban board.
The kanbans are represented in different colors according to their status. Refer to the legend for information on the meaning of the colors (Kanban Board → Display Legend).
The following information is provided with the kanban board:
● Kanbans with the status "Empty". Replenishment has been triggered for these kanbans. That is, a planned order, a production order, or a purchase order (for external replenishment) has already been created in the background.
● Kanbans with the status "Full" from which you can withdraw material.
In control cycles for which the decoupling of status change and goods receipt has been defined, the system also displays for full kanbans whether or not the separate goods receipt for the kanban has yet taken place (‘+’ means goods receipt (GR) has taken place; ‘-’ means GR has not taken place).
● Kanbans with the status "Waiting". These are
· Kanbans that have been newly included in the control cycle and for which no replenishment has yet been triggered.
Kanbans in control cycles for which Independent Supply Source/Decoupling of Status Change and Replenishment has been defined. In this case, replenishment is not triggered automatically when the demand source (consumer) changes the status. Instead, replenishment is triggered by the supply source (supplier, producer).
· Kanbans for which the locking indicator has been set and for which no replenishment has been triggered since they were set to "Empty".
● Kanbans with the status "Error".
A kanban is considered to be faulty if errors have occurred following a status change.
● Kanbans with the status "Separate GR for kanban".
If you want to rule out the possibility of setting the kanban to a certain status in one of the two views, you can specify which statuses only can be set in the demand source (consumer) or supply source (supplier) view in the Include MMPKBDEF (under "Functions of New Kanban Board").
You have the option of changing the status of kanbans on the kanban board by selecting one or more kanbans.
You can also create a new kanban for an event-driven control cycle on the kanban board (via Edit → Generate Kanban). To do so, enter the requested quantity in the ensuing dialog box and choose Generate Event-Driven Kanban.
You can change and save the display of the kanban board on a user-specific basis using the Settings menu option as follows:
● You can increase or decrease the size of the kanbans displayed.
● You can override the Customizing settings for the kanban board with user-specific settings and thus change the display via Settings → Display Control Cycle, Display Kanbans, or Quick Info Content. Here you have the same options as in Customizing. You can delete this user-specific data again at any time. You make the user-specific settings in the same way as in Customizing for Kanban under Kanban Board.
Under Settings → Display Kanbans, you can specify that the data on the kanban board automatically refreshes after a certain time. For this purpose, the system reads the current data of the control cycles, the kanbans, and their statuses.
If a time has already bee specified in Customizing under Production → Kanban → Kanban Board → Display of Kanbans on the Kanban Board, you can change it on a user-specific basis.
● You can call up additional information on a kanban by double-clicking on it. The system then displays the control cycle, the material, the plant, the actual quantity, the status, the date of the last status change, the replenishment strategy, and the number of the replenishment element. In this dialog box you can change or display the replenishment element for empty kanbans via ‘Change Replenishment’ or ‘Display Replenishment’. If errors have occurred, the corresponding system messages are also displayed.
● You can display the control cycle data by double-clicking on the corresponding line on the kanban board.
● Via Goto you can display the current stock/requirements list, the stock overview, or the material master for a control cycle (i.e. for the corresponding material).
● Via Goto you can invoke the kanban correction facility for a control cycle. The section Kanban Correction provides information on the kanban correction procedure.
Note that the kanban correction can always represent just one control cycle - even if you have selected multiple control cycles on the kanban board.
For control cycles with a replenishment strategy using reporting point processing, you can display the reporting point stock via Goto → Reporting Point Stock(see also Replenishment Strategy with Reporting Points). You can also show reporting point and work center information for these control cycles. To do so, choose Settings → Display Control Cycle and adopt the Reporting Point and Work Center columns from the column set in the selection of columns displayed.