The image capture field edit type provides integration with the client device’s built-in digital camera, allowing for images to be captured and stored in properties of the application. Using this field type it is also possible to select an image file on the client device to store in the property. This field edit type is intended for use only with properties of type image.
The image capture field edit type interacts with the client device’s camera, if one is available. When displayed on the detail screen, the field will include up to two buttons. One will allow the user to select a file from the client device’s file system. The other will interact with the camera, taking a picture that will be captured and displayed in the field. This behavior is exhibited only on detail screens displaying a transaction or fetch. For object screens, the image capture field will display the image stored in an image property in a read-only field.
When the camera button for the image capture field is clicked, a dialog is displayed allowing the user to take a picture using the device’s camera. When the image is captured it is displayed as a thumbnail in the image capture field. The user can then click this image to display a popup screen of the image. The size of the image displayed in this popup is dependent on the Initial Popup Mode attribute for the image capture field. This option allows for the image to initially be displayed in either full size or to be scaled to fit within the popup screen. This screen will be no larger than the viewable area of the client device’s display. Within this popup screen the user can click the image to switch between the scaled and full size image views. The dialog will contain scroll bars to allow the user to scroll the image if it is larger than the viewable display area.
Image Capture Attributes
- Allow Image Camera Capture: This attribute specifies whether or not to allow the field to interact with the device’s camera, if one is available. When this attribute is set, the field will include a button control that will activate the camera to take a picture
- Allow Image File Capture: This attribute specifies whether or not to allow the field to capture an image file stored on the device’s file system. When this attribute is set, the field will include button control that will display the Windows file dialog, allowing the user to select an image file from the file system.
- Initial Popup Mode: This attribute specifies how the image should be initially displayed in the popup screen when the image capture field is clicked by the user. The options are display the captured image in full size or to scale the image display to the size of the popup dialog. This is the initial display mode and the user can switch between the two by clicking the image in the popup dialog.
- Image Location: Specifies the location in which the image should be stored once it has been captured.
- Image Name Prefix: Specifies a string value to affixed to the beginning of the image file name.