The barcode scan field edit type receives input from a barcode scanner. This type of field may also be defined to behave like a string field, accepting input from the device's keyboard. The scanning functionality is only available on detail screens used by scanner platforms on devices equipped with a barcode scanner.
Barcode Scan Attributes
- Label Types: This attribute specifies the name of the barcode label type or types to support for this field. If the barcode being scanned is not one of these types, it will not be scanned. If this attribute is left blank, any label type supported by the device will be scanned.
- Minimum Length: This attribute specifies the minimum number of characters to scan in. If the number of characters is less than this minimum, the value will be ignored. The default for this attribute is no minimum. This value must be less than or equal to the Maximum Length attribute value.
- Maximum Length: This attribute specifies the maximum number of characters to scan in. If the number of characters is greater than this maximum, the value will be ignored. The default for this attribute is no maximum. This value must be equal to or greater than the Minimum Length attribute value.
- Allow Typing: This attribute specifies whether or not the user can type a value into the field in addition to scanning one in. If true, the user can type a value directly into the field.
- Show Scan Button: This attribute specifies whether or not a Scan button is drawn to the right of the barcode scan field. This button is labeled “Scan” and will activate the device’s scanner just as if the hardware scanner button is pressed.
- Maintain Scan Focus: This attribute specifies whether or not the scan focus should always exist for the field when displayed on the current screen. When selected, and when the user scans a barcode the value scanned in will be set to the barcode field regardless of where the current input focus may be on the screen.