Step Type: OData
An OData step is defined for an OData system connection. The step definition includes a URL called by SAP Mobile Platform Server, and also specifies how the XML data returned from this call is mapped to the data members of the mobile application. An OData step includes two child definitions that encapsulate the arguments passed by the server to the defined URL, and the mapping of return values to the data members of the application.
The first information entered for an OData step is the definition for which it is defined, which may be an object, transaction, or fetch. This information is needed by the step definition for use in its child definitions, which must have access to the property values of the selected data definition as a part of their behaviors.
Within this step type is the HTTP request. This portion of the step defines the URL that is called by the SAP Mobile Platform Server and the HTTP request method, one of GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DEL, MERGE, and PATCH.
The OData step child definitions include the step's request arguments and response mappings. Request arguments provide access to the property values and other data values in scope for the step to be passed to the URL defined by the step. The definition includes the type of argument the data represents.
Response mappings extract data from the structured XML data or document that is returned from the request. Response mappings use XPaths to locate and retrieve these values from the XML and define the property or other data member of the application to which the XML contents are mapped. You can use response mappings to extract the content from a specific XML element, or a parent element with a second child element within that parent, of which there may be multiple instances.
OData Child Definitions
- Request Argument:
- Response Mapping:
OData Step Attributes
- Used For: Specifies the data definition within the module for which the step synchronizes data. This may be any fetch, transaction, or object definition within the application. Set this attribute by selecting the deffinition type, then the specific definition within the project.
- Name: Contains the unique internal name for the step definition. This must be unique among all steps within the same module.
- Connection: References the system connection for which the step is defined. Set this attribute when you create the step; you cannot modify it thereafter. An OData step must be an OData system connection type.
- Name: Contains the unique internal name for the HTTP request within the step definition, which by default is set to the name of the parent step definition. It may be modified. An OData step has only one HTTP request.
- URL: Contains the URL to which the SAP Mobile Platform Server makes a request. This value isappended to the base URL for the OData system connection, which is configured within the OData system connection configuration options for the SAP Mobile Platform Server. Use both the base URL option and the URL entered here, for application portability. The base URL represents the implementation-specific portion and the step’s URL is unlikely to change for the same back-end system between various implementation.
- Method: Specifies the HTTP request method for the request, which is one of GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DEL, MERGE, and PATCH.