A system connection sets the connection type that SAP Mobile Platform Server uses to synchronize data with a back-end system. A system connection specifies what type of system the server is communicating with: SQL Database, Java Virtual Machine, HTTP-XML Server, or File System.
An Agentry application project must have at least one system connection. More system connections can be added if the application requires SAP Mobile Platform Server to communicate with multiple back-end systems. Each system connection may be of different types, or multiple connections for the same type can be defined, depending on the environment in which the mobile application runs.
- SQL Database - This system type is used when SAP Mobile Platform Server needs to communicate with a database system using the Structured Query Language, or SQL. This includes database types such as Oracle or SQL Server.
- Java Virtual Machine - This system type is used when SAP Mobile Platform Server needs to communicate with an interface using the Java Virtual Machine. This logic is implemented using the Java development language and includes usage of the Agentry Java API.
- HTTP/XML Server - This system type is used when SAP Mobile Platform Server needs to communicate with an HTTP server by making HTTP requests that returns structured XML data.
- OData - This system type is used when SAP Mobile Platform Server needs to communicate with an HTTP server by making HTTP requests that returns structured XML data to an OData back end.
- File System - This system type is used when SAP Mobile Platform Server needs to communicate with the host system upon which the Server has been installed, specifically for file access or command-line processing.
The SQL Database and File System connection types have only the two attributes of Name and the ID number. The name is set by the developer when the system connection is defined. The ID number is generated automatically by the Agentry Editor. This ID number ties the definition to the set of configuration options, configured in SAP Mobile Platform Server.
The Java Virtual Machine connection type contains the additional attribute API Version. This attribute specifies the version of the Agentry Java API to be used by the mobile application.
A system connection defined for the HTTP-XML or OData connection type contains the child definition type Validate User Request. This is an HTTP Request definition intended to validate the client user, as well as to capture user information to be stored in the <<user.info>> SDML data tag.