The SAP Cloud Platform SDK for Android Components¶
The SAP Cloud Platform SDK for Android contains three key software components; one each for Fiori, OData, and Foundation. These components are decoupled from each other, which allows developers to use only those components required for their application development.
The SDK also includes the SAP Cloud Platform SDK for Android Wizard that you can use to quickly generate a reference app that you can then extend by adding your business logic.
The Fiori Component¶
The Fiori component is a library of user interface modules for creating mobile apps that follow Android Material Design and SAP's Fiori Design Language. This component includes styling XML that adds a Fiori look and feel to your app.
The Fiori component includes the following UI modules:
- Contact Cells and Headers
- Form Cells
- Object Cells and Headers
- Progress Indicators
- Search User Interface
See The Fiori Component for more information.
The OData Components¶
The OData components provide modules that allow your app to access OData services on the back end. There are separate components for online and offline apps:
Online: The online component provides online access to exposed back-end OData services without using any caching or local storage of data. This component parses OData payloads, produces OData requests, and handles responses.
Offline: The offline component allows the app to retrieve back-end OData services when a device is online, and then creates an offline OData store. When in offline mode, the app user can continue to perform actions such as querying, updating, creating, and deleting the locally stored data. The app syncs those updates back to the server when a connection is available.
See The OData Component for more information.
The Foundation Component¶
The Foundation component includes modules that allow your app to use the features and capabilities of the SAP Cloud Platform as well as the Android device.
This component includes the following modules for accessing enterprise services:
- Authentication: Provides mechanisms for authenticating the user against the SAP Cloud Platform.
- Backend Connectivity: Provides networking and connectivity APIs that facilitate communication between the app and SAP back-end systems.
- Cache: Provides temporary storage for maintaining a single copy of items that would be expensive to create or load.
- Client Usage: Collects, stores, and uploads client usage events to the SAP Cloud Platform.
- Configuration Provider: Provides easy and consistent access to configuration data from multiple types of sources. This configuration data can, for example, include parameters required to connect to a back-end service, such as a server URL and port number.
- Encryption Utility: Provides protected storage for users to store and access the encryption keys that they use to access secure storage.
- Logging: Provides APIs for writing messages to the application log and sending it to the server to facilitate troubleshooting.
- Push Notifications: Provides mechanisms for managing push registration with the SAP Cloud Platform and for receiving push notifications.
- Secure Storage: Provides mechanisms for securely storing sensitive data, including tokens.
- Settings: Provides mechanisms for managing application, user, and device settings.
- User Information: Provides the API to retrieve the user name, user ID, and roles associated with the user.
See The Foundation Component for more information.
The SAP Cloud Platform SDK for Android Wizard¶
The Wizard is an Android Studio plugin that simplifies the development of your Android projects by generating hundreds of line of source code. For example, the Wizard can generate the code required by an app to do the following:
- Access OData services
- Define authentication mechanisms
- Enable push notifications
- Set up mobile service configuration
The Wizard generates a ready-to-run Android studio project that uses APIs from most of the components mentioned in this section.