Accessing the Explorer
You can access the Explorer to begin creating a story for your data.
You can access the Explorer in these ways:
- From the main menu, select either Edit mode. Use the Story/Data control to switch to the Data view. Switch to Data Exploration mode () to use the Explorer. or to open an existing story or create a new one. If you open an existing story, switch on
- Drag an Excel or CSV file to the Home screen. Your data is displayed in Data Manipulation mode (). After you prepare your data, you can switch to Data Exploration mode () to use the Explorer.
- You can also access the Explorer from a story canvas. For details, see Launching the Explorer from a Story Canvas.
The Explorer displays your data in a faceted view, with a visualization area below it. The initial view contains the dimensions that are selected in the Show/Hide Data list, plus any other dimensions that are included in visualizations in the story. If you're creating a new story, only Measures are shown initially. Add dimensions by selecting (Show Dimensions) or (Show or Hide Dimensions).
Select measures and dimensions in the facet panel to add them to the
visualization, or select individual members to filter a dimension.
To help you find dimension members, you can search for them. Hover over the dimension name in the facet panel, and then select (Search) to display the search bar. Note: searching in the facet panel is not supported for date-type dimensions.
When you filter dimensions by selecting individual members, you can select (Show Filters) in the dimension header to toggle between seeing only the selected members, and seeing all members. You can clear the filter by selecting .
You can also display additional information about the members in the facet panel. Hover over the dimension name in the facet panel, select the (Access Other Interactions) icon, and then select Show Measure.
- For analytic view datasets, you can select Occurrences to display the number of times that member occurs in the dimension. Or you can select a measure from the list, to display the sum of that measure for each dimension member.
- For planning models, select Accounts to display the sum of a selected measure (account) for each dimension member.
If you display the occurrences or sums, you can also sort the dimension by that information. Hover over the dimension name in the facet panel, select the (Access Other Interactions) icon, and then select Sort Highest to Lowest or Sort Lowest to Highest.Note
- For hierarchical dimensions, sorting is applied at each level (siblings in the tree are sorted relative to each other), in contrast to flat dimensions, where sorting is applied across the entire list.
- Sort options are not available for SAP BW hierarchical dimensions.
You can choose whether selecting members includes them in your visualization or excludes them. Selected members are included in your visualization by default, but to exclude them, hover over the dimension name in the facet panel, select the (Access Other Interactions) icon, and then select Exclude.
If you want to place dimensions on particular axes (rows or columns), select
Designer to open the Builder
Here, you can drag dimensions and measures between axes, change their order, assign colors, and more. Note that when accessing the Builder panel from the Explorer, the available functionality is not the same as when accessing the Builder panel from a canvas page. For example, you can't add or edit filters.
If you want to change the formatting of your visualization, select
Designer and switch to the
Styling panel .
Here, you can change chart properties, number formatting, fonts and colors, and more. Note that when accessing the Styling panel from the Explorer, the available functionality is not the same as when accessing the Styling panel from a canvas page. For example, you can't apply Formatting Rules to tables, and the Break Scale chart property isn't available.
To see more information about a particular data point in your visualization, select a data
point and choose (Smart
A side panel appears displaying two panes:
- A chart preview.
- Information that highlights contributing factors for the data point.
Note: the Smart Insights icon isn't available when the Styling panel is open.
If the suggested visualization type isn't suitable, you can change it to any of
the types supported for your data. When you're happy with your visualization,
you can copy it to a page in your story.
If you want to clear your visualization settings and start again, select the icon in the visualization area, and select Clear Chart. All measures, dimensions, and members are deselected, the sort order is reset to Sort Ascending, and filter selection mode is reset to Include. However, all hidden dimensions remain hidden.
- If you want to export the data from your current view in the Explorer to a CSV file, select .
Switch to Data Manipulation mode () if
you want to perform any data preparation.
- When you make changes in the Data Manipulation mode, previous selections made in the Data Exploration mode () are cleared.
- The Data Manipulation mode is available only for datasets acquired by dragging a data file onto the Home screen, or when choosing Data uploaded from a file in the Add New Data dialog.
- Select New Smart Discovery to run discoveries on your data. For more information, see Running a Smart Discovery.