Introduction to Modeler
Modeler is where you view, edit, and configure models.
The following illustration of the Modeler list screen gives an overview of some of the main functional areas:
- Models – Existing models are listed here. You can open a model by clicking the link text or by selecting one or more models using the checkboxes.
- Public Dimensions – The individual public dimensions that are used in models are saved independently and listed on a separate tab page.
- Currency Conversion – If you are using multiple currencies in your data, exchange rates are maintained in separate tables. These are saved independently of any model and are listed on a separate tab page.
- Points of Interest – Data for geographic locations which are displayed and used in your data analysis is maintained here in Modeler.
- Toolbar – Common operations for managing models are available from the toolbar, this includes options to Delete a model and to Clear (remove all data) from a model.
- Import / export data – The list of data import options that are supported is available from a menu beneath the Data import icon on the toolbar.
- Data Resources – You can set up permanent scheduled links to the model from external data sources so that data can be refreshed on a scheduled basis.
|Model based on a live data connection|
When you select a model, the model contents are shown in the Modeler grid:
The data objects shown in the grid are:
- Dimensions: Time, Account, and so on.
- Dimension attributes: ID, Description, and so on.
- Technical Properties (available only for account dimensions): Units & Currencies, Aggregation Type, and so on.
- Dimension members: Discount, Gross_Margin, and so on.
From the Datasources tab of the Modeler page, you can refresh, delete, and schedule data refreshes for specific datasources. You can also import data into a model or start a refresh job from the modeler page.
These are some of the helpful features available in the Modeler grid:
Keyboard navigation: You can use these keys while working in the grid:
Keys Action Space Opens a cell for editing (same as double-clicking a cell) Enter Move down 1 cell Shift + Enter Move up 1 cell Tab Move right 1 cell Shift + Tab Move left 1 cell Page Down Move down 1 page Page Up Move up 1 page Alt + Page Down Move right 1 page Alt + Page Up Move left 1 page Ctrl + Shift + Space Select all Space, t, and f
In columns with check boxes, for example the Hide column, the Space key toggles the check box, while t (true) selects it, and f (false) deselects it.
Moving columns: You can rearrange columns in the grid by dragging their headers.
Modeler column menu: This menu appears when you point to a column header.
- : Add a column to the grid.
- : Sort or filter the column. When filtering, the column is
automatically filtered as you type.
Note: these filtering and sorting operations do not apply to data that is not yet loaded from the server due to pagination.
: Hide the column. You can also select Show Columns to show or hide any columns:
- : Pin the column. Pinned columns stay displayed at the left side of the grid when you scroll to the right. To unpin a column, select the icon again, or drag the column out of the pinned area.
- : Delete a column.
Context-sensitive copy: If you have cells containing the values Cell1 and Cell2, when you select both cells and copy to the cells below, the cells will be populated with the values Cell3, Cell4, and so on.
Account labels: For account dimensions, you can type custom labels for the Units & Currencies column:
Error highlighting: when cells contain errors, hover over the column header for information about the error:
Formula bar: when entering formulas in the Formula bar, press Ctrl + Space to see the available formulas, and then highlight a formula in the list to see a detailed description of the formula: