Creating Models from HANA Views
You can connect to SAP HANA database views to create new models.
The HANA database must first be set up by the system administrator. The HANA views in the database (analytic or calculation-type views) are available to create new analytic-type models from. A view can have only one model based on it; if you want to create a different model from that view, first delete the existing model.
- From the () Main Menu, select .
to create a new model.NoteFrom the acquire data panel, select the filter icon to narrow down the number of datasources in the list. You can filter by datasource type or by category.
The Select HANA View dialog is displayed.
Select a view.
- Only analytic views or calculation views with the data category CUBE are available.
- Calculation views with the data category DIMENSION are not supported because they don't have measures.
- Calculation views without a data category are not available.
- Users need to have read access to the view (to execute a SELECT on the run-time object; for example, grant select on schema Schema123 to User123), and an appropriate analytic privilege (for example, _SYS_BI_CP_ALL).
- For performance reasons, only the first 100 results are shown in the list. If the calculation view you're interested in isn't shown in the list, you can search for it.
- Select OK.
Complete the following substeps if your HANA view contains string-based time
dimensions or date dimensions that you want to enrich with time-hierarchy
If you enrich the string-based time dimensions or date dimensions in your HANA view, you can use time-related features such as Difference From story calculations, trend series charts, and time range sliders for filtering. Before you can follow these steps, you'll need these prerequisite configurations:
- Your remote HANA system needs to be on baseline level 2.
- The HANA MODEL DATE ENRICHMENT Delivery unit needs to be imported to the remote system.
For more information, see Models Based on Live Data Connection HANA Views.
- Select (Create Time Dimension).
In the Dimension field, select the HANA
string-based time dimension or date dimension that you want to enrich
(for example, 0CALMONTH, which needs to have the format
YYYYMM – Calendar Year/Month).
- Year must be of type String, with the format YYYY.
- Quarter must be of type String, with the format YYYYQ.
- Month must be of type String, with the format YYYYMM.
- Day must be of type String, with the format YYYYMMDD, or a DATE type column.
- Other types (for example, Timestamp and SECONDDATE) and formats (for example, MM for month) are not supported.
In the Time View field, select the Calculation
View that you want to use to enrich the dimension with.
NoteChoose the granularity that matches the granularity of the dimension you're creating.
In the Field in Time View field, select the
column in the Calculation View that will be used as the join dimension
for enriching the dimension.
Its format should exactly match the format of the dimension being enriched.
Choose the Default Hierarchy for the new
NoteYou'll be able to work with these enriched dimensions the same way you work with date dimensions in import data models.
- Save your model.
If your HANA data contains location information, you will need to add location dimensions to your model. For more information see Creating Geo Spatial Models from HANA Calculation Views.