Automate a Planning Workflow Using Multi Actions
Create and manage multi actions to automate a sequence of planning tasks.
Create a Multi Action
You’ll need permissions to create and update multi actions, and read access to any data actions you want to include. For details, refer to Permissions and Prerequisites.
Planning modelers and admins can create multi actions in the multi actions app by adding data action steps and version management steps, arranging the sequence of steps, and adding parameters.
Data action step: Runs a data action with parameter values that you specify in the step, either by setting fixed values or by applying parameters from the multi action.
Version management step: Publishes a version from the model that you specify. You can set the version, or apply a parameter from the multi action.
If there’s an error while running a step, the following steps won’t run. The previous steps will still take effect.
From the side navigation, select (Multi
Actions) and choose Multi Action in the Create New section.
If you want to base your multi action on one that already exists, you can select it in the Multi Actions list instead and choose (Copy the selected multi action).
- In the Preferences panel, type a name and a description for the multi action.
Set up any parameters that you need to use.
You can apply a parameter from the multi action to each parameter from the data actions that it includes, and to each target version for a version management step. You can also use fixed values or members.
If you’re not ready to set up parameters yet, you can start by adding steps instead.
For details about setting up parameters, refer to Add Parameters to Your Data Actions.
Start adding your steps to the canvas.
Step Type Procedure Data action step
- Select (Data Action Step) from the toolbar.
- Type a name for the step.
- From the Data Action list, select the data action that will run during this step. You can use the (Open Data Action) button to open the data action.
- If you want to publish the target public version after the data action runs, select Publish target version automatically.
- For each of the data action’s parameters, specify a parameter from the multi action, or set a fixed value, member, or measure. For more information about parameters, refer to Add Parameters to Your Data Actions.
Version management step
- Select (Version Management Step) from the toolbar.
- Type a name for the step.
- From the Model list, select the model whose version you want to publish. If the model isn’t used in the multi action yet, choose Select other model …
- Set the version to publish. You can choose a fixed version, or use a parameter. For more information about parameters, refer to Add Parameters to Your Data Actions.
The steps will run in order. You can also insert a step into the sequence by hovering over the preceding step and selecting the + icon.
To quickly create a step that’s similar to an existing step, hover over the step and select.
If necessary, change and reorder your steps.
To change the order, hover over a step and selector .
To delete a step, select it and choose (Delete Step) from the toolbar.
Check the multi action for validation messages.
If a step has a warning or error icon, select it to see the problem in the panel.
If the Validation section of the toolbar shows a warning icon , hover over it to see where to fix the problem.
When the multi action is ready, select
(You can save the multi action while there are errors, but you won’t be able to run it.)
Manage Multi Actions
From the multi actions start page, you can open, search, copy, or delete existing multi actions.
|Find a multi action||
In the Search field, enter the name or description of a multi action, or the user who created or last changed it.
To sort the list, hover over a column and select or .
|Copy a multi action||
Select a multi action and choose (Copy the selected multi action).
|Delete multi actions||
Select one or more multi actions and choose (Delete the selected multi actions).
|Refresh the list||
Select (Refresh multi action list).