Since Contract Accounts Receivable and Payable (FI-CA) is a subledger, you have to regularly reconcile it with General Ledger Accounting and Profitability Analysis. Run the reconciliation regularly, but at the latest at the end of a period. This enables you to determine and correct differences quickly. For information on how to handle differences, see the section Analyzing Differences. Correct reconciliation is only possible if there are no postings in FI-CA during the evaluation and no transfer to the general ledger.
● Reconciling the cash clearing accounts
After the transfer to the general ledger, you reconcile the cash clearing accounts to make sure that the balances agree. Since the bank postings to the cash clearing account using the bank statement take place in the general ledger and the clearing postings for the contract accounts take place in FI-CA (by posting payment lots or the payment run), the balance in the cash clearing accounts should be zero after the completion of the business process and complete transfer of postings to the general ledger.
To check, in the SAP menu, under Financial Accounting ®General Ledger ®Account ®Display Balances (New), call the transaction G/L Account Balance Display. The balance in the cash clearing accounts must be zero.
● Reconciling the clarification accounts
If there are payment or returns lots with payments for clarification at month-end/period-end closing, you have to reconcile the clarification accounts.
To do this, in the SAP menu, under Financial Accounting ® General Ledger ® Account ® Display Balances (New), call the transaction G/L Account Balance Display. The balance in the clarification accounts must be zero.
● Reconciling the open items
Using the transaction Reconcile Open Items, you can reconcile FI-CA with the general ledger. You have to reconcile the current balance for the reconciliation and tax on sales and purchases clearing accounts specified.
In the SAP menu, choose Periodic Processing ® Forward Postings ® Reconciliation ® Reconcile Open Items (Report RFKKOP10).
The following balances are determined per company code, business area, and reconciliation account:
○ Balance of the current open items in FI-CA
○ Current balance of FI-CA reconciliation accounts in the general ledger
○ Balance of FI-CA reconciliation keys not yet transferred
○ Balance of FI-CA adjustment totals records not transferred
The subsequent procedure depends on the light icons in the column Status of Reconciliation:
○ The icon (green light) indicates that there are no variances.
○ The icon (yellow light) indicates that the balance of the reconciliation keys not yet transferred and/or the balance of the adjustment totals records not yet transferred is not zero. In both cases, you have to transfer the reconciliation key to the general ledger (see Transferring Postings to the General Ledger).
○ The icon indicates that there are differences. Proceed as described in Analyzing Differences.
Create a key date-specific open item list (Total List.)
To determine whether or not an item is open on the key date, see the documentation for report RFKKOP03.
You can display the open items according to a due date grid and determine the items for the reclassification.
If you post in a different posting period, the key date-specific open item list no longer agrees with the postings in the general ledger. In this case, create a key date-open item list where the indicator Alternative Posting Date is set in the output control.
The balances displayed must agree with the G/L account balances in the general ledger. To check, in the SAP menu, under Financial Accounting ® General Ledger ® Account ® Display Balances (New), call the transaction G/L Account Balance Display. If the balances do not agree, proceed as described under Analyzing Differences.