By default, the Alert Monitor monitors the system in which you start it.
However, you can monitor multiple systems with a single Alert Monitor. To do this, you make one system your central monitoring system. You then only need to add your other systems to the Alert Monitor in your central monitoring system.
You can monitor any number of systems from a single system. Technical factors such as the speed of your network and the traffic in your network restrict the number of systems that can be monitored. However, from experience, practical restrictions of this kind are only significant if you are monitoring more than 100 systems.
You can only monitor a remote system if you have defined RFC destinations for every system that you want to monitor remotely. A remote system is any system that you are not logged on to.
1. Choose CCMS → Configuration → Alert Monitor, or call transaction RZ21.
2. Choose Technical Infrastructure → Configure Central System → Create an Entry for a Remote System.
3. Make the following entries in the definition screen:
Target System ID is usually the system ID of the system that is to be monitored, such as C11 or PRD. If you want to monitor multiple systems with an identical system ID, see Monitoring Multiple Systems with Identical System IDs.
RFC Destination of a Target System for Data Coll. and RFC Destination of a Target System for Execution of Analysis Method are the names of the RFC connections to the remote system. Choose Goto → RFC Connections to display a list of the connections that have already been defined. (see Monitoring Multiple Systems: Defining RFC Connections)
4. Choose Save. When saving, the system automatically tests the connection to the remote system. If the RFC connection does not work, the system displays an error message. Test the connection with transaction SM59. If there are any errors, you can use the same transaction to correct them ( Displaying and Maintaining RFC Destinations).
5. Choose CCMS →Control/Monitoring → Alert Monitor, or start the Alert Monitor by calling transaction RZ20.
6. If you are using rule-based monitors for monitoring, the new system is automatically added to your monitors. Otherwise, add the new system to your monitors or create a new monitor (see Creating and Changing Monitors).