Ensure that all InfoObjects that you wish to transfer into the InfoCube are actively available. Create any required InfoObjects that do not exist already and activate them.
If you want to define an InfoObject catalog in the same way as an InfoSource, then the InfoSource has to be available and active.
Instead of creating a new InfoCube, you can transfer an InfoCube from SAP’s Business Content.
1. Create an InfoArea, to which the new InfoCube should be assigned.
For this, choose Modeling → InfoProvider.
2. Using the context menu for the InfoArea, choose Create InfoCube.
3. Select the type of InfoCube:
¡ Virtual InfoCubes:
§ Virtual InfoCube with Services (only for special cases)
If you want to create a copy of an existing InfoCube, you can enter an InfoCube as a template.
You go to the InfoCube maintenance.
The InfoObjects that are to be added to the InfoCube are divided into the categories characteristic, time characteristic and key figure. You have to transfer at least one InfoObject from each category. You select the category from the tab page.
4. Transfer the characteristics by selecting the relevant characteristics and assigning them to the InfoCube with the aid of the arrow keys. Compound or referenced characteristics are automatically transferred over.
Editing (making revisions to the sequence in the InfoCube) functions are available.
You can choose different templates. The default setting is always “All InfoObjects”. By setting a template filter, you achieve greater clarity with regard to a particular task (fewer InfoObjects for selection).
You can select an InfoSource (still only the InfoObjects for the communication structure of the InfoSource are displayed), an InfoCube, an ODS Object, or an InfoObject catalog as a template. A simple way of constructing an InfoCube that is identical to the communication structure of an InfoSource is by setting the template, selecting all fields and transferring into the InfoCube.
Setting a template can affect either all InfoObject types or just the current one.
Detail view of functions
§ A double-click on an InfoObject takes you to the detail display of this InfoObject. You can also get to the detail view using the Display InfoObject(s) pushbutton (at the bottom of the tab page).
§ In addition to the text for the InfoObjects, the pushbutton Detail View displays additional attributes/properties.
5. You get to the definition and assignment screen for dimensions using the pushbutton Dimensions (F8).
6. If no dimensions exist yet, then you define them using the Create function. Enter descriptions for all dimensions. You can also read more about dimensions.
If a dimension only has one characteristic, or if it has a large number of values, you need to set the indicator Line Item or High Cardinality. You can find further information under Line Item and High Cardinality.
7. Choose the tab page Assign, select the characteristics to be dimensioned, position the cursor on the dimensions to be assigned to this characteristic, and choose Assign (or double click on the assigned dimension).
You can also assign the characteristics graphically that are not assigned (pushbutton). You can select and assign the unassigned characteristics on the tree-like display of the dimensions and characteristics. Note that for graphical assignments, no changes are permitted to the assignment of a dimension, rather only to an assignment of characteristics that are still free.
The arrow keys can be used for scrolling through the dimensions.
You can no longer delete individual characteristics or key figures after you have activated the InfoCube. You can only insert additional characteristics or key figures.
The only way you are still able to remove InfoObjects from the InfoCube structure is by deleting data from the InfoCube. Afterwards, the InfoObjects are released once more. See also Deleting InfoCubes and InfoCube Contents.
8. Transfer time characteristics.
Maintenance of time characteristics follows in the same way as for characteristics. You do not need to maintain any dimensions, as all time characteristics are assigned with the dimension ‘time’ implicit in them.
9. Transfer the key figures
This step is carried out in a similar way to the characteristics. The unit InfoObjects in the InfoCube, which you can display for inspection, result implicitly from the list of transferred key figures.
10. Save or Activate the InfoCube.
Only an activated InfoCube can be supplied with data and used for reporting.