SAP Unifier for R/3 is an application providing advanced integration of SAP R/3 systems into SAP Enterprise Portal.
SAP Unifier 5.0 SP5 for SAP R/3 replaces SAP Unifier 5.0 for SAP R/3, released with EP 5.0 SP0 through SP4. It is not possible to upgrade from the older version to the newer version. You must uninstall the older version, install the new one, and recreate all unification projects.
Unification Server is the back-end engine that drives unification of enterprise applications and databases across a single platform.
SAP Unifier for R/3 runs on top of Unification Server and enables access to SAP R/3 systems from Enterprise Portal.
It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with Unification Server Administration Guide as a basis for working with SAP R/3 Unifier.
· Connects to SAP R/3 systems, creating an abstraction layer of the application's business logic and a repository of metadata.
· Leverages the SAP R/3 security mechanism and customized user access settings.
· Provides a development environment that allows you to segment the business information of SAP R/3 systems into components.
· Integrates seamlessly into SAP Enterprise Portal, letting portal users access SAP R/3 systems, and Drag&Relate structured data within, to and from them.
· Allows you to relate SAP R/3 system data to other information sources in the portal.
For a brief overview of an R/3 Unifier project, see SAP Unifier for R/3 Project at Runtime.
For a comprehensive explanation of an R/3 Unifier project at runtime, follow the link The Unification Environment in Drag&Relate with SAP R/3 Systems.
To create an R/3 Unifier project, go to Developing an SAP Unifier for R/3 Project.