Foreign Currency Valuation
To create your financial statements, you have to perform a foreign currency valuation. This valuation covers the following accounts and items:
· Foreign currency balance sheet accounts, that is, the G/L accounts that you run in foreign currency.
The balances of the G/L accounts that are not managed on an open item basis are valuated in foreign currency.
· Open items that were posted in foreign currency.
Open items that are open on the key date are valuated in foreign currency.
You have the following options for the foreign currency valuation:
· You can perform the valuation in local currency, (company code currency), or a parallel currency (for example, group currency).
· If you want to translate additional currencies from the local currency, foreign currency valuation automatically performs a currency translation according to FASB 52 (US GAAP).
You have made the following settings in Customizing:
· You have defined exchange rates.
For more information, see Exchange Rates.
You have made the settings in Customizing for new General Ledger Accounting under Financial Accounting (New) ® General Ledger Accounting (New) ® Periodic Processing ® Valuate.
· Define Valuation Methods
You have defined a valuation method here.
· Define Valuation Areas
Here, you have defined a valuation area and assigned a valuation method to it.
· Assign Valuation Areas and Accounting Principles
If you are using parallel ledgers, you have assigned to the valuation area an accounting principle that is also assigned to a ledger group.
The exchange rate differences from the parallel valuation are posted in this valuation area. If you perform a parallel valuation with a different valuation method to the first valuation, you do not have to reverse the postings from the first valuation. This information is then available for subsequent closing operations, for example, Transferring and Sorting Receivables and Payables
· Foreign Currency Valuation ® Prepare Automatic Postings for Foreign Currency Valuation.
Here, you have defined the expense and revenue accounts for exchange rate differences from valuations. For payables and receivables accounts you must also define the financial statements adjustment accounts.
In the new General Ledger, the report Foreign Currency Valuation (New) (FAGL_FC_VALUATION) provides you with the following functions:
· Saving the exchange rate differences determined from the valuation per document
· Performing the adjustment postings required
The following topics describe how to perform foreign currency valuation using the reports, and how to post valuation differences. You can also make this posting manually. From the SAP Easy Access screen, choose Accounting ® Financial Accounting ® General Ledger ® Document Entry ® Valuate Foreign Currency.
To perform a foreign currency valuation, from the SAP Easy Access screen, choose Accounting ® Financial Accounting ® General Ledger/Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable ® Periodic Processing ® Closing ® Valuate ® Foreign Currency Valuation (New).