Creating and Editing G/L Account Master Records
You have various options for creating G/L account master records in the system:
- Using a reference
You can copy G/L account master records from an existing company code and then change them.
Use this procedure if you want to use a chart of accounts included in the standard system or if you want to use an existing chart of accounts as a reference. The advantage of using a reference is that the account assignment is also copied. This ensures the integration of General Ledger Accounting with other application components.
- Data Transfer Workbench
You can copy G/L account master records from an external system and then change them.
Use this method if you have your G/L accounts in a non-SAP system and want to transfer them to your SAP System.
- Copy G/L accounts
You can copy G/L account master records by copying a chart of accounts and then the company code.
You should only use this method if there is a chart of accounts in your system that exactly meets your requirements. If you need to make changes to the chart of accounts, your should complete this using a reference method.
- Create manually
You can create G/L accounts master records by manually creating each individual G/L account.
The method is quite time consuming. You should only use it if you are certain that the standard SAP System nor any other system contains a chart of accounts which you could use as a reference.
Prior to creating your G/L accounts, you need to make various settings in Customizing. You can find these settings in Financial Accounting Customizing under General Ledger Accounting ® G/L Accounts ® Master Data ®Preparations.
|Edit Chart of Accounts List||
The chart of accounts you use has to be entered in the chart of accounts list.
|Assign a Company Code to a Chart of Accounts||
Your chart of accounts must be assigned to your company code
|Define Account Group||
YourAccount Groups have to be defined.
|Define Retained Earnings Account||
You have to define a retained earnings account.
You have various options for organizing the editing of G/L account master records: For more information, seeFunctions for Editing G/L Account Master Records.
You can find the function for creating G/L account master records in Financial Accounting Customizing under General Ledger Accounting ® G/L Accounts ® Master Data ®Creating G/L Accounts.
- Create your G/L accounts. You have two options:
- If you want to use a chart of accounts included in the standard system as a reference, or if a chart of accounts is already in your system, use the create with reference method. To do this, use the Create G/L Accounts with Reference activity.
You can copy the G/L accounts and the related account assignments. Before creating the G/L accounts, you can change the account numbers and names.
- If you have G/L accounts in a non-SAP system, you can transfer these G/L accounts to your SAP System. To do so, select the Data Transfer Workbench.
- You can modify the G/L account master records that were created or transferred. The following functions are available for doing this:
- You can carry out systematic changes to multiple G/L accounts, such as changing the P&L account type of several P&L accounts. To do so, select the desired function under Change G/L Accounts Collectively.
- You can change the master record of a single G/L account. To do so, select the desired function under Edit G/L Account.